Best Home Gyms 2018 – A Complete Buyer’s Guide
Best Home Gyms 2018
Top 15 Home Gyms
- Weider Power Tower
- Weider Ultimate Body Works
- Bowflex PR1000
- Weider Total Body Works 5000
- Total Gym XLS
- Bowflex Blaze Home Gym
- Total Gym 1400 Deluxe
- Bowflex PR3000 Home Gym
- Total Gym 1900
- Body Solid StrengthTech EXM2500S
- Marcy 150lb Multi-Functional Home Gym Station
- Body Solid Powerline Home Gym
- Gold’s Gym XR 10.9 Power Tower
- Marcy Stack MKM-81010
- Valor Fitness BD-62 Wall Mount Cable Station
When it comes to exercise, there are those that like to workout at the gym, and there are those who don’t. For those that don’t, finding the best home gym to satisfy your fitness need will be crucial to you getting awesome results.
Which is why I am providing this list of the best home gyms for 2018. When looking for the best home gym, you want to make sure you get everything you need at home that you would at your local gym.
Being able to work the entire body is the most efficient way to burn fat and lose weight. So finding a home gym that allows you to work both the lower body and upper body is crucial to your success.
So below I will be listing some of the top home gyms in the market today. As we all know, cost will always be a factor in your decision making. So the machines I have listed below will give you the most bang for your buck, and provide you with the most efficient workout.
Best Home Gyms 2018 – Durable, Versatile, and High Quality
#1 Weider Power Tower
If you asked most people what their weakness is when it comes to fitness, i’m sure many would say they lack upper body strength.
Which makes this home gym such a great buy.Not only can you work on strengthening your upper body, but you can do it at a very affordable cost.
What I like most about the weider power tower is its versatility. Which is important to making sure your workouts stay fresh and fun.
Being able to always challenge yourself during your workouts will help keep you motivated.
And with the many features this machine has to offer, make it a very popular buy. You can do push ups, pull ups, dips and vertical knee raises.
If there was one negative that I found when it came to this particular machine, was that you’re pretty much limited when it comes to exercising the lower body. You could however think about getting adjustable dumbbells and perform squats.
Other than that, there are very few ways to get in a good leg workout with this machine. But for the price, you can’t really complain about the value you are getting when it comes to home gyms.
In fact, there are over a thousand positive reviews on Amazon of users stating how much they love this machine. If you’re interested in what they have to say, just click the link above to see for yourself.
- Great for those looking to get in a great upper body workout.
- Cushioned arm rests for when you’re doing vertical knee raises.
- Very affordable compared to a lot of other home gym machines.
- Doesn’t take up a lot of room. Can fit nicely in the corner of most rooms in your home.
- Not many ways to get in a good leg workout which is important to getting results.
- Many have complained about the setup process and that the machine doesn’t lay flat on the floor.
#2 Weider Ultimate Body Works
One of the most unique exercise machines out there, the weider ultimate body work machine allows you to pretty much do it all.
Using the body as the main form of resistance, you can work many different muscles in both the lower body and upper body.
But if you don’t thing your body will be enough resistance for your fitness needs, this machine also allows you to add 50 pounds of resistance.
So that you can challenge yourself as you progress and get stronger.
The one thing you want to be careful with is when coming down, you want to make sure you do it slowly. Make sure you are coming down naturally and slowly not to damage the machine unnecessarily.
Other than that, you’re getting a great machine that has over a thousand reviews on Amazon. Giving it 4.5 stars which you can see for yourself by just clicking the link above.
- An adjustable incline bench with a pulley on each side, allowing you to increase or decrease the amount of weight resistance you feel as you workout.
- There are 4 resistance bands that give you the option to increase the weight up to 50 pounds. Challenging your muscles as they get stronger.
- Cable & Pulley system that gives you more versatility and greater range of motion as you perform each exercise. Causing less stress to joints over time as you go about your daily fitness routine.
- You get a workout guide with over 100 exercises for you to choose.
- It also folds so that you can easily store the machine anywhere around your home.
- Setup is considered fairly easy.
- Depending on the type of exercise you are doing, handlebars dangle a bit causing some noise.
- Machine is pretty long, so need to make sure you have enough room in the area it is placed.
- Hard to store around the home due to its length.
#3 Bowflex PR1000 Home Gym
When you hear the word Bowflex, you automatically think of fitness machines.
That’s because Bowflex has a reputation of providing fitness enthusiasts with quality exercise machines to help you reach any fitness goal.
Keep in mind though,this brand power comes with a hefty price tag.
But if price isn’t an issue and all you need is an exercise machine that provides all the necessary tools to get in a good workout, then you need to look no further.
This machine allows you to work every muscle in your body, giving you a great total body workout.
Using cables as a form of resistance, this will allow your joints to not have to take on too much stress as you workout.
What I like most about this machine is that you can perform a variety of different exercises. Some home gyms can be very limited in the exercises you can perform, therefore you’d still need the gym to satisfy the entire body.
This machine has hundreds of reviews on Amazon from other users who gave it an average of 4.5 positive reviews. If you don’t believe me, you can check for yourself by clicking the link above.
- You get a total body strength workout that even includes a rowing machine rail that gets you an awesome back workout.
- You get as many as 210 pounds of resistance giving you the challenge necessary to get great results.
- There are over 30 strength exercises you can do with this one machine. So no need to worry about getting bored doing the same old exercises.
- There is a 300 pound maximum weight limit for those concerned if the machine can handle a lot of weight.
- 1 year warranty on frame, 60 days for parts, and 5 years on the Rods.
- Not ideal for a small workout area. Need a good size room to fit this machine into your home.
- Limited on the amount of weights you can use to perform leg exercises.
- No lat bar for the lat tower which would have made sense to have one.
#4 Weider Total Body Works 5000 Gym
Here’s another one from weider where you use your body weight as a form of resistance.
So regardless of your fitness level, this machine will help you challenge yourself as you progress through your workouts.
If you are someone that struggles with lifting their own bodyweight, then getting started with this machine should work for you.
This is made possible by adjusting the incline level. The higher you go, the more difficult it will be to perform the actual exercise.
So if you’re a beginner, it is recommended that you start at a lower incline and slowly build yourself up as you progress. Also with its resistance bands, it allows for free range of motion as you perform each exercise.
This will lessen the amount of stress that is put on your joints. If there was one negative to this machine, it would be the fact that you are somewhat limited in the amount of weight you can add. Especially when it comes to doing any leg exercisers.
If you’re still not convinced if this machine is worth being in your home, you can check on the hundreds of reviews that break down the effectiveness of it. Just click on the link above to see what they have to say about it.
- There are over 50 exercises to help strengthen and build up your muscle flexibility.
- Has four adjustable power bands that give you up to 50 pounds of added resistance on top of the body weight.
- The cable pulley system is unrestricted providing a lot of versatility and great range of motion.
- It is designed to conveniently slide away allowing for quick and easy storage in your home.
- There is a 30 day satisfaction guarantee and a 90 day limited warranty.
- Easy on joints and great for any fitness level.
- Limited in the amount of weight that can be applied especially when it comes to lower body workouts.
- Many have complained about wear and tear of parts after a year of use.
#5 Total Gym XLS – Universal Home Gym for Total Body Workout
Talk about having the star power to backup a quality exercise machine.
Endorsed by both Chuck Norris and Christie Brinkley, you can expect your workout to be just as intense as they are.
To be honest, if it wasn’t for the high price tag, I would have put this machine above the two machines of this kind.
The reason I say this is because, you are getting a top of the line system that is made with high quality material.
But if price isn’t an issue for you, then you most certainly will not regret making it your machine of choice. You get so much, and are able to do a lot more. Like work the entire body with great resistance.
When first introduced, the total gym was used primarily for rehabilitation centers. Helping those recover from physical injuries with its smooth gliding motion making it very easy on the joints. At the same time, you can still get in an intense and satisfying workout.
So for anyone that suffers from joint pain, but is still looking to get great results, then you may want to take a look at this particular machine. In fact, many on Amazon also believe it to be a good piece of equipment giving it 4.5 stars. Just click on the link to check them out.
- Great for all ages and fitness levels. Regardless if you’re a beginner or advanced fitness enthusiast.
- Includes wing attachment, leg pull accessory, and squat stand to perform a variety of lower body workouts
- Comes with 5 workout DVDs and over 80 exercises to work all your muscles
- Exercise Chart
- Training Deck
- Nutritional/Meal Planning Guide
- 400 pound weight capacity
- No assembly is required and it folds for easy storage
- 6 month warranty on all parts plus a lifetime warranty on the frame.
- Limited on the amount of muscles that can be developed due to limited resistance levels
- Could be considered costly for those on a tight budget.
#6 Bowflex Blaze Home Gym
Home gyms can be a great way to get everything you need in when it comes to your fitness routine, and no brand does a better job of that than bowflex.
Saving you both time and money that would be wasted at your local gym.
So if the gym isn’t a method of choice, finding a machine that can replace everything the gym has to offer will be crucial.
With the bowflex blaze, you are able to workout a variety of different muscles, which is key to getting results.
One thing that got my attention was the lat bar that is placed above you if you want to perform lat pull downs. Unlike the bowflex PR1000, many have complained about the machine not having at lat bar to go with the lat tower.
So it is comforting to see that this particular machine does have the bar to go with the tower. So if you’re willing to spend a bit more, you can choose this machine instead of the PR1000. On Amazon, there are close to 300 reviews giving it an average 4.5 stars.
So you should definitely check out what others have to say to help make your choice an easier one. Just give a quick click on the link above.
- Over 60 full body exercises can be performed on this machine.
- You get up to 210 pounds of the bowflex power rod resistance, and can upgrade to either 310 or 410 pounds.
- Has a sliding seat rail allowing you to do cardio rows.
- Has a lat tower and bar to help build up your back quicker.
- You can fold the bench to help save space around your home.
- Resistance rods allows for full range of motion, putting less stress on the joints.
- 300 pound weight capacity
- 1 year frame, 60 day parts, and 5 year power rods warranty.
- Don’t expect to build a lot of muscles as you are limited in the amount resistance you can apply.
#7 Total Gym 1400 Deluxe Home Fitness Exercise Machine
One of the most important factors when it comes to making a decision on purchasing any exercise machine, is having enough space.
And what you’ll learn about the total gym 1440 hundred, is that it’s great for saving you space around the house.
A big reason for this is due to its ability to fold up. Thus giving you the ability to store it in most places around your home saving you a ton of space.
At the same time, still big enough to help you get an effective workout.
If you’re looking to build solid muscle, then you may want to temper your expectations a bit. This machine is great for those that are just looking to stay in great physical shape using their body weight as a primary source of resistance.
With the variety of exercises this machine allows you to perform, you can build up your body using just your body weight alone. And with all the different exercise positions, you can workout all major muscles in the body.
If you’re still not convinced if this is the right machine for you, you can check on Amazon and view their almost 200 reviews. Getting 4.5 stars from users who’ve actually tried out the machine. Click the link above to take a look.
- You can strengthen and tone all the major muscles simultaneously giving you a more efficient workout.
- Great at giving you a total body workout.
- You can perform over 60 different exercises that focus on cardio, strength training, and stretches for better flexibility.
- Works for all fitness levels and people of all ages.
- Comes fully assembled and can be folded for easy storage.
- Comfortable cushion giving your back easy support.
- Limited in the amount of muscle that can be built since you are using just bodyweight alone.
#8 Bowflex PR3000 Home Gym
Bodyweight exercises can be a great way to build up your body. But if you’re looking to take your body to the next level, then it helps to add some resistance.
And with this machine and their power rods, you can add as much as 210 pounds of resistance to your workout.
This will allow you to progress through your workout at your own pace.
As you get stronger, you can increase the amount of resistance your muscles go through.
This type of challenge is necessary to both stay motivated and committed long term.
The bowflex PR3000 offers a variety of tools to help give you a total body workout that is proven effective to getting results. Whether you need to work on your back, chest, arms or legs, you can find a workout on this machine.
I am concerned however on the type of lower body workouts that can be performed on this machine as it seems limited when it comes to that. But if you’re creative enough, you can find ways to add get in a good workout for your legs.
- Can easily adjust resistance levels without having to change the cables. Thus allowing you to get a total body strength workout quick and easy.
- With the bowflex power rods, you can get up to as much as 210 pounds of resistance.
- Can perform over 50 strength exercises and includes a vertical bench and lat pull down.
- Has roller cushions so you can perform leg extensions and leg curls comfortably.
- There is a 300 pound weight capacity so no worries about if it can handle the wear and tear.
- Limited in the type of lower body workouts you can do.
- If you’re looking to build serious muscle mass, you may find it to be a bit limited in that department. But can still develop solid muscle with its 210 pound resistance system.
#9 Total Gym 1900
If you’re looking for a machine to help perform simple body weight exercises, then you may have found it with the total gym 1900.
This machine allows you to perform a variety of body weight exercise with relative ease. At the same time challenging you as you progress.
There are many that struggle with exercises like pull ups, and with all the different angles this machine offers, you control the difficulty.
And with its sliding mechanism, allows for smooth and easy body movements.
My one concern would be when performing any kind of squat exercise. The platform where your feet lands is open where your feet could go through. So if I wanted to perform jump squats, I would be worried about my foot going through.
Also, if you are someone that is looking to build a lot of muscle, you may find trouble in doing that with this particular machine. It’s all body weight and is perfect for those that struggle with body weight exercises.
- Has over 60 exercises you can perform to help keep your workout interesting.
- There are 12 different levels that allow you to adjust the resistance between 3-45% if you so choose.
- Great for all different fitness level and ages.
- Comes fully assembled and folds for easy storage in your home.
- Has a weight capacity of 350 pounds which is higher than a lot of other home gyms.
- Will not help you build a lot of muscle mass. Have to rely on body weight alone.
- Limited in the kind of lower body exercises you can do.
#10 Body-Solid StrengthTech EXM2500S Home Gym
If you’re looking to really build lean muscle mass, then you will need to add weights as a form of resistance. And with this machine, you get just that.
Unlike the other home gyms that use bands as a form of resistance, this machine uses actual weights.
But these weights come at a cost. Priced at over a thousand dollars, you will need to break the bank to add this piece of fitness machine to your home.
But if money isn’t an issue, then you can expect to get solid results, as the name suggests.
This machine allows you to exercise a variety of different muscles like the chest, arms, back, shoulders and legs. Giving you an effective total body workout that is necessary for getting results.
It would have been nice to see them have a leg press feature as does the G9 double stack gym, but that would cost you much more. However, there is a leg extension option where you can get a good workout on your quad muscles.
- You can add up to 210 pounds of weight. Increasing it in increments of 10 pounds.
- Has a heavy duty steel frame with firm pads as you sit to workout.
- Can hit every major muscle in your body helping you build nice lean muscles.
- There’s a lifetime warranty of all parts.
- Would have been nice to have a leg press feature
- Expect it to take up a lot of space in your home.
#11 Marcy 150-lb Multi-functional Home Gym Station
If you’re looking for a machine with cool designs and looks built to last, then the Marcy is definitely a good choice.
Designed to help you build lean solid muscles. Instead of using bands as a form of resistance, this machines uses raw weights.
To be exact, it uses up to 150 pounds to help you build your body the way you want.
This is definitely a bit lighter compared to other home gyms that get up to over 200 pounds of weighted resistance.
But for the price, you are getting some good value.
You can do a variety of different exercises that workout the arms, chest, back and legs. Giving you a total body workout that is key in burning the most amount of fat over time. There is even a lat bar that has a tendency to be missing in other home gym machines.
It would have been nice to see there be more options in terms of the types of leg workouts you could do. It seems that all they have is the leg extensions for your quads. But they do have a padded area to do arm curls which would be ideal if you have adjustable dumbbells. Although they do have a bar with cable to do your arm curls with.
This machine really does allow you to do wide variety of exercises which is great for those looking to build some solid muscle. If you’re interested in what actual users have to say about this machine, check on Amazon where it receives 4 stars.
- Is made with premium steel construction with guard rods that hold the weight in place during your workouts.
- There’s a weight stack lock that allows you to adjust the amount of weight without having to worry about injury during use.
- Has a dual action press arms that allow you perform either chest press or butterfly exercises.
- Has a removable curl pad for times when you want to perform arm curls.
- Really efficient at helping you build solid muscle mass.
- Doesn’t offer too much in terms of lower body exercises. Would have been nice to be able to do some sort of squat exercise.
- Not made for those looking for heavy lifting.
#12 Body-Solid Powerline Home Gym
Free weights tend to be the best way to build the greatest amount of muscle mass, but for many, it is also the most dangerous way.
Machines like the Body Solid Powerline are great for those that worry about getting injured while perform strength training exercises.
That fact that each part is fixed allows for great margin of error while working out. You can also go heavy without having to worry about any weights falling on you.
And with this machine in particular, you can perform a variety of muscle building exercises.
Exercises where you get to work major muscles like your chest back and legs. It would have been nice to see a leg feature that allowed you to perform squats, but you get a decent leg workout doing leg extensions. However there is an optional leg press feature you can purchase.
You can also increase the weight up to 160 pounds, giving you some good amount of resistance to help develop your muscles. And with its solid steel frame, you know you’re getting a durable machine that will last a while.
- It comes 90% assembled and you only have to make sure to fasten nine bolts.
- Easy to adjust when switching in and out of different workouts.
- 2,200 pound tension strength, military grade cables with swiveling ends to give you the sense of security and durability as your exercise.
- Not a lot of maintenance is needed.
- 160 pound weight stack allowing you to increase the intensity of your workouts.
- Includes a limited ten year manufacturer’s warranty on the frame and a one year warranty on other parts.
- Limited in how many leg exercises you can perform with just a leg extension feature. But there is a leg press feature that is optional to purchase.
- Leg press mount is very narrow allowing for a less natural leg squat feel.
#13 Gold’s Gym XR 10.9 Power Tower
What I like most about home gyms like the power tower, is the simplicity of it.
Doesn’t have much in terms of features, but still offers a lot when it comes to the variety of different exercises that can be done with it.
You can pretty much work all the major muscles in the body except the legs. Which is one of the biggest negatives with a home gym like this.
The legs are a crucial element when it comes to getting the best results, so it definitely lacks in that aspect.
When it comes to space, this machine will fit perfect in any corner around your home. Not an overly bulky machine which is great for those that lack the space. Also, when it comes to stability, you should feel very secure as you go about performing your exercise routine.
I would recommend however getting other fitness equipment to help complement your new home gym machine. Things like resistance bands to assist you with pull ups if you struggle with that. Also adjustable dumbbells to provide you with resistance for your leg workouts.
If you’re not sure yet if this is the right home gym for your home, you can go on Amazon and see what others have to say about it. Just click the link above and you’ll get to see for yourself what others like and dislike about it.
- You can exercise a variety of different muscles, even the ab muscles with vertical knee raises.
- Comfortable grip with heavily padded bars for when you do exercises like push ups and dips.
- Very compact and can fits in most places around your home.
- Easy to setup and very sturdy
- Doesn’t really allow you to get in a good lower body workout
- Can be difficult to use if you struggle with body weight exercises. But can use resistance bands to help assist you if necessary.
#14 Marcy Stack Dual Function Home Gym – 200 lb Stack MKM-81010
Unlike the other home gym by Marcy, this machine allows you a maximum weight of 200 pounds.
Compared to the 150 pounds the other machine allows.
For some, this could be a significant increase in the amount resistance you take on while exercising.
With its all black design, you know it is all business when it comes to working out.
If you’re someone that is looking to build nice lean muscles, that 200 pound weight stack will help big time in getting you there.
Other than the squat exercise, you can pretty much do a variety of exercises to work the major muscles in the body. You have your chest press and fly, lat pull downs, arm curls, and even seated rows for your back.
This machine truly does offer a lot in terms of helping you build muscle. You can get in a full body workout with this machine alone, which is crucial to getting results the quickest.
If you’re interested in learning what other users have to say about the effectiveness of this machine, you can check on Amazon for yourself. Just click the link above.
- 200 pound weight resistance allowing you to build some solid lean muscle when strength training.
- Build with your safety in mind with its high density boxed vinyl upholstery and foam, giving you an intense yet comfortable workout.
- Can perform a variety of exercises exercising a variety of different muscles.
- Comes with a lat bar.
- Not a lot of ways to workout the lower body, since all they have is a leg extension feature.
- Some have complained that performing some of the exercises on the machine doesn’t feel natural.
#15 Valor Fitness BD-62 Wall Mount Cable Station
If space is a big issue for you in your search for the perfect home gym, then you should have no issue with this particular machine.
With its design, you will save a bunch of space in your home while you exercise to it.
Not only that, but if you are someone that prefers to workout using cables, then this machine may work well for you.
The great thing about using cables is that it allows for free range of motion when working out.
This will cause less stress to be put on joints since each movement will be a bit more natural. You can also add Olympic style plates as a form of resistance as you progress through your workouts.
As great as this machine could potentially be, there are a couple of things users may have issue with.
- Having to buy the weight plates separately.
- The machine has to either be mounted to a wall or bolted to the floor, or it can tip.
These are two things that can be a bit of an inconvenience when looking to setup your home gym. But if these things aren’t an issue, then you will love how much of a space saver this machine can be.
- Will not take up a lot of space in your home
- Can add olympic style plates allowing for some serious weight training to help build solid muscle.
- Has heavy duty steel for strength and durability.
- There are 17 adjustable positions on both sides.
- Comes with 2 adjustable hand straps.
- Needs to be mounted to a wall or bolted to the floor to prevent tipping.
- Weight plates has to be purchased separately.
- Doesn’t offer much in terms of lower body workouts.
Things To Consider Before Choosing Your Home Gym
There may be many reasons why you are considering purchasing a home gym. Maybe you prefer to workout at home than a gym. If this is the case, then it’s important to know what your goals are, and make sure to find the right equipment to help you reach those goals.
What Type of Resistance are You Looking For?
Depending on what your goals are, certain home gyms are designed better than others at helping you achieve your goals. Whether you’re looking to build muscles, focus on cardio, or just maintain, you need to understand what each home gym can bring to your fitness routine.
Bodyweight – if you’re a beginner or are someone that is uncomfortable using free weights, then bodyweight exercises can be a great way to get in shape. And although you can build muscle doing them, you are limited in the amount of muscle that can be build with just the body alone.
So if you’re looking to build a lot of muscle mass, choosing a home gym machine where the body is the main source of resistance might be a waste. Because the greater the resistance, the better potential there is to build muscle. So you want to keep this in mind when choosing your home gym.
Resistance Bands – bands used to be limited when it came to the amount of resistance you could add to a workout. But with machines like the bowflex, they have found a way to add pounds of resistance with just the use of bands.
So if you’re looking to build muscle, machines like the bowflex can be very helpful in that. Of course there’s always potential for them to break, but most manufacturers allow you to replace them with their warranty.
Weights – there’s always a debate between bodyweight training vs weight training, so when it comes to building muscle, nothing beats weights. The great thing about them is you can choose the amount of weight that needs to be added to get the most out of your strength training workout.
So when choosing your home gym, if building muscle is your goal, then you want to look for machine that uses this as a form of resistance. Keep in mind that these types of machines tend to be big in size and can potentially take up a lot of space in your home.
Are Home Gyms For You?
Let’s be honest, going to the gym isn’t for everyone. Having to deal with the crowd of people, membership fees, and whatever else that pushes you away from going, can really kill motivation.
Having access to your own gym is something many could find very useful to their fitness needs. But when making a decision like this, you have to be honest with yourself. A big reason many make the choice to get a membership is to force them to be active.
Now as we all know, this isn’t always the case since many get a membership and still find themselves not going to the gym. So you need to make sure that you will stay committed to your daily fitness routine. And having a home gym is a great way to get started.
So I hope you were able to find this list of the best home gyms for 2018 helpful. If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to leave them below.