Best Exercise Bikes 2018 – A Complete Buyer’s Guide
Best Exercise Bikes 2018 – A Complete Buyer’s Guide
Riding a bike can be such an amazing feeling, especially if it’s your primary activity for getting in shape. Not only does it give you that freedom you feel when blowing through the wind, but it can do wonders for those that struggle with joint pain.
The only issue with bike riding is that it has to be done outdoors, and if you live in a city where there is inclement weather, than this could damper your workout efforts. Which makes the need for an exercise bike so important.
So to help you find the best exercise bikes in 2018, I’ve created a list of the best bikes available in the market today. Because if you plan on taking your workouts to the next level, it helps to have the right tools to help get you there.
When making a decision on any fitness equipment, cost is always something to factor in. However, later in this article, I will be going over other factors along with cost, you should consider when choosing the best bike for you.
Brake pad system
Brake Pad System
1. Exerpeutic Folding Magnetic Upright Bike with Pulse
If you’re in the market for a more affordable exercise bike that can still get you an effective exercise, then you may want to consider this one.
When riding, you are in an upright position giving you that natural feel.
And although it may not have all the cool techy features higher priced bikes may have, I can assure you that this particular machine shouldn’t be underestimated.
What I like most about this exercise bike is its ability to fold up. Allowing you to easily store it in most places in your home when you’re done with your workout. Some of its other features include:
- The seat cushion is large enough for people most sizes, and can be easily adjusted.
- The machine also comes with a hand pulse monitor to record your heart rate.
- As for resistance, there is an 8 level magnetic tension control system, which will allow you to control how easy or difficult you want your workout to be.
- View you stats and track your progress with its large LCD display monitor.
- With its heavy duty design, you can expect this machine to handle the wear and tear of your daily workout routine.
Unlike the other exercise bikes that are high end, this machine has only a 1 year limited warranty. Still, for the very affordable price, you are getting a very attractive piece of equipment. Not only is it easy on the wallet, but saves you space within your home.
There is also a weight capacity of 300 pounds which seems to be the standard for most exercise bikes. So as you can see, there is a lot of love about this bike. In fact, there are thousands of reviews on Amazon about this product.
Amazingly, mostly all of them are positive. Getting 4.5 stars giving anyone that is thinking about getting this machine, the confidence to make a sound purchase. If you curious as to what others are saying about it, just click the link below.
2. Exerpeutic 400XL Folding Recumbent Bike
If all you’re looking for in an exercise bike is simplicity and effectiveness, then you can’t go wrong with this bike.
Also, if you struggle with lower back pain, being in an upright position may be uncomfortable.
Recumbent bikes are great for that kind of issue and may be perfect for your fitness needs.
This bike is great for anyone that doesn’t need all the bells and whistles that come with other luxury model machines.You get just enough to get in a great workout, and still track your progress to efficiently reach your fitness goals.
Depending on your living situation, what you will find most attractive about this machine is the fact that in can fold up allowing for easy storage. So if you’re living area isn’t the biggest, you can still find a way to fit this machine in your home.
Other features include:
- If you’re worried about noise level when exercising, then no need to worry since this machine comes with a quiet V-belt double drive transmission system. So you can exercise without interrupting others in your home.
- You can adjust this machine with its 8 level magnetic tension system.
- You will also find that its LCD monitor is very easy to read allowing you to track your distance, calories burned, time, speed, and heart rate. Making tracking your progress very simple.
- Has a large seat cushion and backrest giving you that comfortable feel as you increase exercise intensity.
- Supports a weight level of 300 pounds for those concerned about it being able to hold up.
There are also wheels that are included allowing for easy mobility around your home. The machine also comes with a 1 year warranty for those worried about protection about faulty parts.
Considered a very popular exercise bike, many on Amazon feel it lives up to the billing. With over two thousand reviews from satisfied consumers, they have given it 4.5 stars. You can even check for yourself by clicking the link below.
3. Exerpeutic 900XL Extended Capacity Recumbent Bike
I must admit that when looking at this particular exercise bike, I expected it to cost a bit more than it actually does.
From looking at its features and simplistic design, you definitely get a lot of bang for your buck when it comes to the exerpeutic 900XL.
Before really getting into all the features, this recumbent bike gives you a great cardio workout without putting stress on your joints and back like other machines.
Not only are you getting excellent back support, but some of its other features includes:
- Customize your ride with its eight level magnetic tension control system. This will allow you to challenge yourself over time as you progress through your daily exercise routine.
- It has a large LCD screen that is easy to read so you can see stats like, distance, calories, time, speed, and heart rate.
- Hand pulse sensors so that you can get a reading on your heart rate as you engage in intense exercise.
- Enjoy a quiet workout with its balanced flywheel and v-belt drive. You can expect a smooth and quiet workout that will not get in the way of you watching tv or listening to music.
- Wheels allowing you to easily move the machine around your home.
As you can see, with the available features this machine provides, you would expect it to cost much more than its actual price tag. You get a very effective exercise machine at a fraction of the cost compared to the other exercise bikes.
In fact, there are thousands of reviews on Amazon showing this to be the case. Giving it a full 4 stars. If you’re curious as to what others are saying about 900XL, click the link below to take a look.
4. Sunny Health & Fitness Pro Indoor Cycling Bike
If you’re into style when it comes to your exercise machine, then you definitely have found it with this bike.
If you have a home gym, then i’m sure you could envision this particular bike being a part of your fitness dynamic.
Keep in mind that you will be in the upright position while exercising with this machine.
So if you struggle with any lower back pain, bikes in the upright position tend to put more stress on the lower back.
But if you’re lower back pain free, then I have all the confidence in the world you will have no trouble enjoying this machine. This machine was made for indoor cycling with its 40 pound flywheel. And to add onto that, here are some of its other features:
- Heavy duty steel frame with a smooth chain drive system. So you can expect an intense, yet very smooth and quiet feel when you workout.
- Both your seat and handlebars can be fully adjustable. Because we all know that comfort is crucial to enjoying your workout and getting results.
- With its adjustable resistance system, no need to worry about not being challenged while you workout to this exercise bike.
- Has transportation wheels so that you can move it around your house if needed.
Most machines this sleek in design, would usually cost you an arm and a leg, so i’m amazed to see that it can be had for under $300. You get a very durable piece of equipment, that will allow you to challenge and push yourself every time you exercise.
There is a max user weight of 275 pounds and a 3 year warranty on the frame. As for other parts and components, you get 90 days. If you’re not yet convinced if this bike is for you, check out the thousands of reviews that are featured on Amazon.
Just click the link below to see for yourself.
5. Marcy Recumbent Exercise Bike with Resistance ME
Not big on name, but offers both the quality and simplicity that all exercise equipment must have.
For those that like to exercise while sitting down, this machine might be just what you’re looking for.
Just by looking at it, I can tell that it’s heavy duty frame is built to last.
In fact, based on the features, that is exactly what you are getting if you’re looking to make this your go to exercise bike.
Along with its heavy duty construction, there are other features you may want to look at like:
- It has an easy step through design that features a 14 gauge steel tubing that allows for easy mounting and dismounting. This should make it easier for both your back and knees.
- Challenging yourself is key to progress, so with its magnetic resistance mechanism, there are eight levels to challenge you throughout your workout.
- Tension knobs that allow you to control the difficulty based on your fitness level. With different terrains that simulate how it is to ride on that particular terrain.
- The seat is filled with high density foam for extra comfort. You also get foam covered handles for better support for your back and arms. This will ensure that you maintain proper form while exercising.
- Pedals are weighted to allow for maximum foot support. Giving you total control on how intense you want your workout to be, while still giving you that sense of security.
- There is also a display monitor that shows all the important stats like speed, distance, time, and calories burned.
There is a user weight capacity of 300 pounds, which explains the heavy duty construction. You can exercise comfortably knowing that it can handle a good amount of weight and still give you the workout needed to reach your fitness goals.
Another good thing about this machine is that it doesn’t take up too much space as other exercise bike machines would. This is probably why there are over fifteen hundred positive reviews on Amazon. Just click the link below to view what others have to say about it.
6. FitDesk Desk Exercise Bike with Massage Bar
One of the most unique exercise bikes on the market.
Especially if you are someone that struggles with finding time to exercise while at work.
If that is the case, the Fitdesk may be exactly what you need to help you stay active.
What stands out the most about this exercise machine is the desk that is attached to it. Allowing you to work while you workout. When choosing this particular machine, you know exactly why you’re getting it.
But apart from its unique style desk that sits where the handlebars usually would be, there are a bunch of other features that make this such an attractive piece of equipment:
- Very durable and is made to last with its high quality gear box components that give you years of use.
- With its high velocity flywheel, you can expect your workouts to be both quiet and smooth.
- Everything you need for your desk work. Non slip surface to make sure everything stays on top of the desk. Built in tablet holder which is crucial in the technology world we live in.
- There’s an easy to access storage tray to put your important desk items in.
- To make typing more comfortable for you, there are massage rollers placed where you type.
- Not to forget about the actual workout, there is a digital resistance meter to track important stats.
- With an adjustable seat extender, you can easily switch from an upright and semi recumbent position.
A desk like this can be a very interesting buy, especially since many of us struggle to find time to exercise due to how much we work. So being able to exercise while working can be a great way to kill two birds with one stone.
There is some worry as to how effective this can be since getting results requires a lot of focus. And I find it hard to do that while doing desk work. But if it’s your only option, then this could be a really good buy.
In fact, it seems that many people on Amazon find this machine very useful as there are over a thousand reviews averaging 4 stars. So if you’re wondering what those users have to say about the fitdesk, click the link below to take a quick look.
7. Body Rider Exercise Upright Fan Bike
If you’re more of a fan of Air resistance bikes that tend to not only work the lower body, but also the upper body, then this bike is perfect.
No only that, but you can get it at a very affordable cost compared to other air resistance bikes.
If one of your fitness goals is burning fat and losing weight, one of the most efficient ways to do that is by working out the entire body.
And with the body rider, you are working the total body allowing you to burn the most amount of calories each time your exercise.
Along with its affordable cost, other features you may find very attractive are:
- Dual actioned extended handlebars that will make engaging both your lower body and upper body more efficient while you workout.
- With just a turn of the knob, you can control the level of intensity you go through as your exercise. This will help you stay motivated each day you workout.
- You can adjust your seat the way you like to make sure you are comfortable as you sit and ride.
- With its durable steel frame, you can exercise comfortably knowing you are safe and secure.
- Its fan wheel system lets you get high momentum giving you a fluid workout.
Another thing most will find attractive about this machine is its versatility. What I mean by that is you get almost an elliptical feel the way it’s designed. Its long handlebars allow you to work the entire body like an elliptical machine would.
Also the fact that there is virtually no added stress on the joints, makes this a very popular machine. In fact, there are over a thousand users who have given it 4.5 stars. Check it out for yourself if you’re still struggling to make the move.
8. Marcy Upright Exercise Bike with Resistance ME-708
Another product by Marcy that is at a very affordable cost for those looking for a simple upright exercise bike.
If you don’t mind not having all the bells and whistles, this is a great option.
And if you’re looking for an effective workout at an affordable cost, then you don’t have to look much further.
Priced under $100 last time I checked, you can go about your daily workout routine without having to break the bank. With its sleek and compact design, you know you are getting good quality with this exercise machine.
If you’re wondering about some of its features, here they are:
- Premium steel construction for that durable feel. Along with its unique design and performance making for a very cool feel while you workout.
- With its magnetic resistance system, you will get a very smooth feel while you ride. You can also control the intensity with its tension knob giving you variety in terrain level as you workout.
- Their monitor is considered state of the art which acts as an odometer. It displays all of the necessary stats needed to track your progress over time.
- Has an adjustable seat that can accommodate users of a variety of sizes. Proper form is crucial to avoiding injury and the adjustable seat allows you to set it to a mode that’s comfortable for you.
- The pedals are designed to support feet of all sizes. Giving you all the control as you increase the intensity as you ride.
There’s nothing wrong with keeping it simple when it comes to your workouts. And you get just that with the marcy upright bike. If you are someone that likes to really crank up the intensity as you ride, the counter balanced pedals will give you ultimate support to do so.
If you check out Amazon, you will also see how much other users enjoy this machine. With just over a thousand reviews, you are sure to find enough info to make an informed decision. Just click on the link below to see what they have to say.
9. Sunny Health and Fitness Indoor Cycling Bike
If you’re a huge fan of the sunny health brand, but are unable to fit the more expensive models into your budget, then you may want to take a look at this one.
With similar designs like the other sunny health exercise bike, this one comes at a more affordable cost.
So you can get a very effective workout without putting a big hurtin on your wallet.
Other than it’s sleek design, one of my favorite features is its ergonomic seating. There is nothing worse than riding a bike only to be uncomfortable with how your seat feels.
The seat is designed for optimum comfort and ease when riding. Other features that stand out with this bike:
- You can track your performance and progress with its clear LCD monitor. Track all you important stats like time, speed, distance and the amount of calories burned during your workout.
- Has a 22 pound flywheel giving you high resistance as you pedal. Giving you total control over your riding session. There is also a chain drive mechanism giving you a smooth and sturdy ride.
- The handlebars are rubber foam with caged pedals that will ensure that your feet don’t slip as you pedal.
- There is a max weight of 220 pounds, which is lower than most of the other exercise bikes I have listed. So you definitely want to keep that in mind when choosing.
- Transportation wheels are also included allowing for easy mobility throughout your home if necessary.
Overall you are getting a really good machine with a very affordable price tag. Not only is it affordable, but its cool design makes it look like it costs more than it actually does. Regardless, you can still expect a great workout since you control the intensity level.
There are also hundreds of reviews from users breaking down how much they love and enjoy working out with this bike. To take a look, just click on the link below to learn how others feel about it.
10. Schwinn 230 Recumbent Bike
When it comes to bikes, there’s not many names bigger than the Schwinn brand.
So not only are you getting quality with your bike, but also the name to back it up.
One of the more popular brands when it comes to recumbent bikes, the schwinn 230 has a lot to offer.
If you are someone that struggles with back pain, then recumbent bikes are what you need. Whether you suffer from lower back, joint pain, or like to read while your workout, you can do all that in a relaxed position. No added strain as you pedal your way into a better you.
Other features include:
- Dual track two LCD window system lets you monitor up to 13 different feedback displays. Everything you need to know regarding your workout is directly in front of you.
- Schwinn connect goal tracking and data export helps you stay up to date with your fitness goals. This is key to making sure you are successful long term.
- 22 programs, 2 user settings and goal tracking to help motivate and challenge you each time you workout.
- 20 levels of resistance with high speed high inertia perimeter weighted flywheel, allowing for a smooth and quiet workout.
- Charging usb port and data exchange. So that you can stay connected while you workout.
- Two integrated levelers and a center frame support allowing for a solid workout platform.
- Transport wheels allows you to move the machine from room to room if necessary.
- Heart rate monitors placed on ergonomic handlebars.
If space isn’t an issue for you, you will no doubt enjoy all that this machine has to offer when working out. Not only will you enjoy everything this machine has to offer technology wise, but will enjoy it comfortably with its large seats.
There are others that have also come to enjoy what this machine has to offer. And if you’re interested in learning what others have to say about it on Amazon, just click the link below.
11. Schwinn AD6 Airdyne Exercise Bike
Here is another exercise bike that uses air as a form of resistance.
Also, not only do you get to workout your lower body as you pedal, but also your upper body as well.
Giving you that total body workout that allows for maximum calorie burn as you exercise.
You are given quite a bit of features with this machine, which explains the somewhat high price tag. But for many, it is most definitely worth it when you hear about all the features that come with this particular machine.
Some of those features include:
- Infinite wind resistance. Meaning the harder you pedal, the greater resistance you will feel as you go through your workout. This gives you a chance to challenge yourself as you get stronger.
- You get to workout both the lower body and the upper body simultaneously or independently if you choose.
- Workout console which shows 6 workout metrics. Which is great since you no longer have to wait for readouts of your workout.
- Rev Meter RPM gauge which will give you a chance to see how much effort you are giving each time your workout.
- Large thick padded seat to make sure you are comfortable as you enjoy your bike ride.
- Integrated water bottle holder for when you are dying of thirst from your intense workout.
- Four levels to make sure you are stable as you exercise.
- Transportation wheels allowing you to easily move your machine around if necessary.
- It’s telemetric heart rate compatible, but the chest strap is no included.
- Windscreen and reading rack are available to buy, but are sold separately.
As you can see, this exercise bike has a lot to offer if you’re into the fancy things in life. Whatever you need to make sure you are getting a very productive workout, this machines has it.
If you need more proof of the effectiveness of this machine, there are many reviews on Amazon that confirm this. Click on the link below and you can see for yourself what others have to say about it.
12. Assault AirBike
This exercise bike uses the word assault for a reason.
It was meant to give you an intense workout and built to last a long time.
Built for the commercial environment, you can expect this machine to give you hours of workout time without breakdown.
What I like most about this bike is that unlike other bike machines where you’re only using your lower body, your upper body gets a good workout as well.
Which will ensure you burn the most amount of calories since you are getting a total body workout.
And if that’s not enough, here are some of its other features:
- Twenty sealed ball bearings throughout the frame helping you get a smooth and durable feel each time you pedal.
- Both your upper and lower body gets unlimited resistance due to the air resistance the machine generates. Giving you a complete cross-fit workout.
- Computer features that provide you with a variety of motivation workout programs. Like Tabata, Intervals, Watts, Heart Rate, to help you accomplish any of your fitness goals.
- Twenty five inch diameter steel fan giving you the maximum resistance for your workouts. With an adjustable seat with an up and down tilt.
- You can set goals when it comes to calories, distance, or time on the advanced computer display. There is also integrated messaging to help keep your workouts fresh.
If price isn’t an issue for you, you will no doubt be getting your money’s worth with this piece of fitness equipment. You get all the needed features to make your workout productive and effective.
Not only do you not have to worry about the type of workout you will be getting with this machine, but no need to worry about if this machine can handle the workload. Even if more than one person is using the machine, you can live worry free knowing it will last.
If you’re still not convinced of how good a machine this is, Amazon has a bunch of users that have given it almost 5 stars. Just click the link below to find out for yourself.
13. Schwinn AD2 Airdyne Bike
If you’re looking for an air resistance exercise bike at a more affordable cost compared to other air bikes, then this may be more suited for you.
With its high seat and long handlebars, you can get the total body workout that is great for getting results.
By using air as a form of resistance, the harder you push, the tougher it gets.
Allowing you to always challenge yourself each day your exercise. And if that wasn’t enough, the Schwinn AD2 has other features to help you progress through your daily fitness routine.
- Unique full body cardiovascular with synchronized arm and leg motion. Allowing you to effectively burn as many calories as possible.
- Progressive resistance system giving you many levels to challenge you throughout your workout.
- Easy to use LCD console that displays the speed, RPM, distance, time and the amount of calories burned. Making it easy to track your progress.
- Stationary foot rest pegs if you want to just exercise the upper body only.
- Synchronized arm and leg motions which gives you a more natural human feel.
It’s easy to see that this air machines provides you with the tools needed to enjoy an effective cardio workout at a very affordable cost. Also having the ability to workout both the lower and upper body makes for a very effective workout.
I can understand however if you’re still not convinced if this is the right machine for you. Amazon has a good amount of reviews that may help you with your choice. Just click the link below to check out what others have to say about it.
14. Nautilus U616 Upright Bike
When it comes to high end machines, the nautilus most certainly stacks up with the best of them.
Considered an upright style exercise bike, you get that naturally feel as if you were actually on a 10 speed bike.
Not ideal for those with lower back issues, so this is something you want to keep in the back of your mind when looking to purchase.
But when it comes to features to help make sure you’re getting the most out of your workouts, this machine covers them all.
If you’re into all things techy, then you’ve found it with the nautilus. Some of their features includes:
- Blue back-lit dual track LCD display which feature two display windows that allow you to view 13 different workouts
- Bluetooth LE connection and charging USB port to help you stay connected while you workout.
- 29 programs, 25 different levels of resistance, and 4 user profiles to help challenge you and make sure you stay motivated. Also various profiles to make sure your stats are never lost.
- Acoustic chambered speakers so that you can enjoy static free music while you workout.
- Also comes with a grip heart rate or telemetry enable for chest strap. This will make sure that you are getting accurate readings.
- Padded seat so that you can enjoy a comfortable ride.
I must admit that this machine has so much to offer and with its price tag, you can see why. Not only that, but it comes with a 10 year frame, 2 year parts, 1 year electronics, and 90 days labor warranty.
This gives you even more added comfort that this machines was made to last. It also has a maximum user weight of 300 lbs, which is a big plus. If you’re still not convinced, see what others on Amazon have to say about it. Just click that link below to check it out.
15. Sunny Health & Fitness SF-B1509
If you’re more of an upright exercise bike type of rider, than this bike may be just for you.
What i like most about this bike other than it’s cool features, is its sleek and sturdy design.
You really get the feel as if you’re actually on a bike going for a nice ride.
Along with its cool design, one of my favorite features is the adjustable resistance with a press down breaking system. This will allow you to stop the wheels from spinning with ease from your fingertips.
And if that’s not enough, it also come with:
- both an adjustable seat and handlebar allowing for total comfort while you workout.
- There is a belt drive mechanism that will make sure that your workout is both quiet and smooth. This is also made possible with their 40 pound flywheel.
- The bike also comes with secure pedals allowing you to really intensify your workouts.
- You also get a steel framed water bottle holder for when you get that sudden need for water.
- With its easy to use tension knob, you can control the amount of resistance that suits your fitness need. Regardless if you’re a beginner, or an experienced rider, you control the intensity.
- Transportation wheels for added mobility around your home.
If there is any questions as to the durability of this exercise bike, know that it is backed with a 3 year structural frame warranty, and 90 days for other parts and components. The weight limit for this bike is 300 lbs, so no worries about if you’re too much for it.
There are over a hundred other users that love what this machines has to offer. So much so, it averages 4 stars on Amazon. Click the link below if you’re not yet convinced and check for yourself.
Things To Consider Before Choosing Your Exercise Bike
When deciding which exercise bike will be best for your fitness needs, it’s important to understand the different types of bikes that are available. Knowing that all bikes are not created equal, level of comfort will be a major factor when making a decision.
Types of Exercise Bikes:
Upright Exercise Bike – Considered to be a more traditional way of riding a bike. The rider’s center of gravity is much higher, giving you a very unstable feel as you ride. When riding in the upright position, expect arms, shoulders, and wrists to be very sore.
Although you may like this since you are getting a good upper body workout while you ride. Most importantly, those with lower back or neck issues, tend to find upright bikes to be less enjoyable due to the body position while riding.
Recumbent Exercise Bike – when dealing with these types of bikes, you will usually see the bike seat pretty much in line with the pedals. Giving the bike rider a lower center of gravity, and a much more stable ride. Important for those that really prefer comfort when exercising.
Also compared to the upright bike, the arms are usually hanging freely causing less stress and fatigue to the arms, shoulders and wrists. Leaving you free to do other things like read a book while exercising.
Due to the body position, the body is naturally leaning back, causing less stress to the neck and lower back. So those dealing with any neck and back issues, will find the recumbent bike a much more comfortable ride.
Foldable Exercise Bike – Let’s be honest, when making a purchase for any exercise machine, space is always a concern. Depending on your living situation, being able to have the room to perform your exercise is crucial to what kind of results you get.
Finding a machine that has flexibility when it comes to how you store it may be the best option for you. The good thing about exercise bikes is that there are bikes out there that allow you to fold it. Either in the upright position or in the recumbent position.
Airdyne Exercise Bike – Most air resistance bikes tend to have long handlebars allowing you not to only get in a good lower body workout, but an upper body workout as well. Giving you a total body workout that is great for those looking to get results quickly.
Using air as a method of resistance, the faster you pedal, the more resistance you will face as you workout. Noise level is usually pretty low since all you will really hear is the air blowing through the fan. Allowing for a very smooth and quiet ride.
As you can see, getting in shape requires having the right equipment to get the job done. So when it comes to choosing bike riding as a form of exercise, it’s important to get the right exercise bike for your fitness needs.
If you’re looking for a more realistic feel as you ride, then you want to get an upright bike. If you suffer from any type of back issues, or like reading while you ride, then a recumbent bike may suit you best.
If you have limited space in your home, then getting a folding bike might be your best option. Regardless of which factor is important to you, these are things you need to consider before making a choice.
And with this list of best exercise bikes for 2018, i’m sure you will find that right bike to help you reach your fitness goals